Part of FOHI’s commitment to making the Audubon Camp at Hog Island a sustainable venture is to provide volunteers to help with opening and closing the camp and then to help during the program sessions.
Choose from one of the three FOHI workweeks or one of the program sessions. The FOHI workweeks are filled with hard work, great camaraderie, and a great sense of accomplishment. The first short week opens up the camp and prepares it for program participants — the focus is on a thorough cleaning of the camp, but there may also be painting and fix-it projects, gardening, trails to clear, and kitchen duty in the mix.
The second week has lots of projects – carpentry, painting, repairs, and caring for the buildings we love. The third week does final repairs, and closes down the camp to prepare it for the long winter sleep.
The workweeks are a time to enjoy the beauty of the island with a small group of friends and a more relaxed schedule than during regular camp sessions. A boat trip to Egg Rock Puffin Island is the reward for the second and third workweeks!
Volunteering during a program session week is fast-paced. Kitchen duty, general housekeeping of the buildings, and other odd jobs as the need arises will keep us busy, but you’ll still have time for some fun and learning. During these sessions you’ll have an opportunity to meet world-class instructors, fascinating participants from all over the country, and go on a field trip when space permits.
With any volunteer stint on the island, you’ll enjoy Chef Janii’s exceptional cooking — he’s full of culinary surprises! But best of all, you’ll enjoy a sweet exhaustion and know that you’ve helped our much loved Audubon Camp pulse with life for yet another year as part of the FOHI team.
Accommodation and food are included in your volunteer stint. For more information or to sign up contact Sue Schubel, otherwise known as “Seabird Sue,” at email@example.com, or download the form and return it to Sue Schubel at 11 Audubon Camp Road, Bremen, ME 04551-3233.
Volunteer spots are limited so sign up soon and bring a friend — share the fun and labor of love!
- May 25 – 28 – Friends of Hog Island (FOHI) – opening camp, cleaning, painting, misc. projects
- May 29 –June 3 – Maine Seabird Biology & Conservation – kitchen, cleaning
- June 5 – 10 – Friends of Hog Island (FOHI) – cleaning, gardening, painting, misc. projects
- June 12 – 17 – Joy of Birding – kitchen, cleaning
- June 19 – 24 – Field Ornithology/ Teen Camp – kitchen, cleaning
- July 14 – 19 – Sharing Nature: Educator Week – kitchen, cleaning
- August 15 – 20 – Chapter Leader Week – kitchen, cleaning
- September 11 – 16 – Maine Seabird Biology & Conservation II – kitchen, cleaning
- September 18 – 23 – Friends of Hog Island (FOHI) – closedown, cleaning, painting, carpentry