The island camp where all have congregated was started in 1936 by the National Audubon Society and is managed now by Maine Audubon. The 330-acre island of spruce, fir, white pine, and exquisite glades of ferns and moss is the legacy of a determined mother and daughter team.
Mabel Loomis Todd and her astronomer husband, David Todd, were enjoying their traditional summer sailing trip through Muscongus Bay in 1908 when Mabel, alarmed by the lumbering on Hog Island, decided to buy it. Several years later, she had amassed nearly all of the little lots on the island, and she and her husband built a small cabin in which they spent many subsequent summers with their daughter, Millicent.
- Read the story at The Boston Globe