October 17, 2015
Dear Friends of Hog Island Volunteer,
Welcome to the 2016 FOHI volunteer team. Volunteers are already waiting to sign up! Whether you’re a returning volunteer or one that has waited with anticipation for years to step foot on the island, you are part of the FOHI team of volunteers that keeps the camp humming. Before you know it summer will be here and you’ll be at your summer home again – Hog Island.
Our first camper session starts on May 29, 2016, but some FOHI volunteers arrive early to open up the island and get it ready for campers during our pre-camp work session (May 21-27). We look forward to your help before, during, or after the main season! Think about staying for more than one week! Or consider being a Turnover Tornado – arrive Friday morning to help get ready for the next session, then stay overnight and leave on Saturday (about 5 hours of actual work).
The information and forms below will help you plan your trip and give us a head start on the administrative details.
Planning your trip
- General information – including lodging and dining
- Clothing and equipment list
- Reading list
- Public-transportation to Hog Island (note: shuttle to/from Damariscotta only applies if you are volunteering during a program week)
- Driving directions
Forms to complete and return before your arrival, preferable to return as early as possible
- FOHI Volunteer Contract 2014 (.doc)
- FOHI travel form (PDF)
- FOHI Medical Form (.doc)
- Adult Liability Release Form (PDF)
- Criminal Background Check (.doc) – ONLY for volunteers working during the Teen Week camps, June 12-17 and June 19-24 and Family Camp, August 7-12 and August 14-19; to assure privacy write on return envelope: “ATTN: Rose Borzik.” Please download form and fill in on your computer to avoid misreading your handwriting. Thank you.
Return completed forms
Return one copy of the FOHI Volunteer Contract, along with the travel and the liability release forms.
For Teen Camp volunteers, please fill out the criminal background form. To assure your privacy, put the form in a sealed envelope marked: “ATTN: Rose Borzik” on the front and return it with the rest of the forms to:
FOHI Volunteer Coordinator, Attn.: Juanita
12 Audubon Road
Bremen, ME 04551
The FOHI Volunteer Contract has the dates that we expect your arrival; let us know if they change as we are counting on you to help in a variety of ways.
Details of your assignment on Hog Island will be explained by Juanita on your arrival. In appreciation for your help, the Audubon Camp provides all of your meals and lodging while on the island; all volunteers are housed in The Bridge.We supply sheets, linens, and blankets, but consider bringing a sleeping bag as the weather could be cool! The equipment list has other suggestions.
- FOHI work weeks (May 21-27 and Sept. 18 – 24). Plan on arriving between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Camp session weeks (all other dates). Plan on arriving between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
- Plan on staying until 1 p.m. on your departure day so that we can ready the camp for the next incoming group. For those volunteering during the opening and closing FOHI work weeks, departure will be after breakfast.
Steve, Eric, Juanita and all the Hog Island staff and instructors are looking forward to working with you. Thank you so much for volunteering and helping FOHI fulfill part of its mission to provide volunteers for the camp. Each year just gets better!
If you have questions about the information required on these forms, contract, or your volunteer schedule please contact Juanita at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 529-2355 office, or (910) 233-8548 (unreliable signal). Type “FOHI” in the subject line.
Thank you and thank you for using our online volunteer registration! It makes life easier! See you soon!
FOHI Volunteer Coordinator