Located six miles southeast of Damariscotta on Muscongus Bay, Todd Audubon Sanctuary includes a 30-acre mainland parcel as well as 330-acre Hog Island, located a quarter-mile offshore and home to the Audubon Camp in Maine.
Travel Directions to Hog Island Audubon Camp in Maine
From the South
- Cross the Maine state line on I-95 North. The first toll booth on the Maine (ME) Turnpike is at Exit 7 in York.
- Leave the ME Turnpike at Exit 52 (Falmouth / Freeport)
- Follow the exit road for 3 miles – Total toll =$3
- Follow I-295 North to Freeport / Brunswick
- To reach Coastal Rte 1 North, leave I-295 N at either Exit 28 or Exit 31
- From Exit 28 (Brunswick, Bath)
- Stay in LEFT LANE on the double lane highway in the Brunswick business district. BEAR LEFT at the stoplight to continue on Rte 1 North.
- BEAR LEFT at the stoplight to continue on Rte 1 North.
- OR From Exit 31 (Topsham, Lisbon using the “Coastal Connector to by-pass Brunswick)
- Follow the exit ramp and TURN RIGHT at the STOPLIGHT onto Rte 196E
- Follow Rte 196E until it meets with Rte. 1 North
- Follow Route 1 North through Bath, and Wiscasset to the Newcastle / Damariscotta area. (After passing the Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealership, watch for signs for Routes 215 / 129 and 130 on the right side positioned before the Bus Rte 1 sign.)
- Exit on the RIGHT onto U.S. Business Route 1B in Newcastle
- Drive approx. 1.6 miles through downtown Damariscotta to the traffic light at Biscay Road (McDonald’s & Sullivan’s Tire at the intersection).
- Turn RIGHT immediately after McDonald’s onto Biscay Road
- Drive 5 miles. At the STOP sign you’re at junction with Route 32.
- Turn LEFT onto Route 32, and travel 1.4 miles to Keene Neck Road.
- Turn RIGHT onto Keene Neck Road and drive 1.7 miles to Audubon Road – the unpaved driveway past the line of mailboxes on your left.
Total distance from the Damariscotta exit off U.S. 1 is 9.7 miles.
From the North or East
- Turn LEFT off U.S. 1 at Waldoboro onto Route 32 and proceed south for eight (8) miles.
- Turn LEFT onto Keene Neck Road (first left after the cemetery located on the left).
- Drive 1.7 miles until the road is unpaved. Audubon Road is the driveway past the line of mailboxes on the left.
Traffic and delays
During the summer months (beginning the July 4th holiday), when traffic on the Maine Turnpike and Coastal Route 1 is heavy, you may be delayed (at times up to 20 or 30 minutes) in the Wiscasset area whether travelling from the north or south. Please plan accordingly.
Generally, traffic will be slower heading North on Friday afternoon through evening; and conversely, slower heading South on Sundays.
Travel updates for the Maine Turnpike can be found on the web: http://www.maineturnpike.com
EZ-Pass is now accepted in all the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states with toll roads or bridges.
Upon Arrival at the Audubon Camp in Maine (Hog Island)
- Pull up to the large Red Barn to check in.
- You will then be directed to the bottom of the hill to unload luggage. After unloading, drive your vehicle back up the hill to the parking area. Enter the lot just before the small garage building marked ‘chain locker’. Please drive slowly.
Phone: (207) 529-5148
11 Audubon Road, Bremen, Maine 04551