Rick Ylagan, a much beloved Hog Island instructor, died suddenly in January of 2003.
Rick “exuded energy” at the Audubon Camp for 14 summers where he taught astronomy, geology and kayaking. He also taught earth science for nine years at Bangor High School, and helped establish the new astronomical observatory there. He is remembered fondly as a devoted family-man.
To honor Rick Ylagan and his dedicated work at Hog Island, the Audubon Camp in Maine staff are hosting a special weekend event. Interested parties can come for a portion or all of the event which begins at 1:00 PM on July 19, 2003.
There is no fixed fee for any portion of this event. However, your generous donation in Rick’s honor will help establish a fund in Rick’s name to benefit the Audubon Camp in Maine.
Rick Ylagan Memorial Event
We will be unveiling a permanent marker to be placed on Astronomy Rock, Rick’s favorite spot to talk about the night sky.
Rick “exuded energy” at the Audubon Camp for 14 summers where he taught astronomy, geology and kayaking.
There will also be an exposition of Rick’s 14 years of camp photography, much of which he generously donated to the Audubon Camp.
Everyone is encouraged to come walk the island’s trails and enjoy the beautiful environment of Hog Island. Other events:
- A Hog Island Kayak Paddle for the actively inclined will be hosted by Breakwater Kayak’s Mark DiGirolomo. All equipment will be provided or you can bring your own vessel.
- An outdoor picnic is planned for the early evening
- A contradance will commence following sunset.
- Overnite accommodations will be available.
- A three-hour cruise around Eastern Egg Rock is scheduled, weather permitting, after breakfast.
The Rick Ylagan Fund
Please send donations, checks payable to The Rick Ylagan Fund to:
Maine Audubon 20 Gilsland Farm Road Falmouth, ME 04105
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us of your plans to attend. Or call the camp at 207-529-5148.